Who Uses Our Services
We make our Services available to different types of users. As discussed further below, the information that the Services collect from and share about a user may depend on the user type. An individual may be one or more of these types of users depending on the nature of his or her interactions with our Services.
- Member: An individual who uses the Services, including by engaging with content on the Website, Platform, Application, or through email.
- Author: An individual who drafts articles or creates other content displayed on the Services, Website, Platform, or Application.
Information We Collect
We collect both Personal Information and Other Information about users in connection with the Services. “Personal Information” is information that we can directly associate with a specific person without additional information, such as an email address or phone number. “Other Information” is any information we collect that is not Personal Information. We may combine Personal Information with Other Information, in which case we will treat the combined information as Personal Information. We also may combine information that we collect about you through the Services with additional information that we or third parties collect in other contexts—such as our communications with you via email or phone, or your customer service records. In those circumstances, we will treat the combined information in accordance with this Policy.
You can visit the App, Website, Platform, and use some of the other Services without submitting any Personal Information. However, as described below, we do automatically collect some Other Information when you use the Services. The Services also make it possible for you to submit Personal Information in a variety of contexts. For example, if you register as a Member, or Author, you will be required to provide Personal Information.
Information about Members. We collect various types of Personal Information about Members in connection with the Services, including:
- Email address
- Username and password
- Payment information
Information about Authors. We collect various types of Personal Information about Authors, including:
- Email address
- Mobile phone number
- Phone number
- Username and password
- Company and job title
- Financial account information
- Professional credentials and experience
We may ask for additional information about Authors in order to determine whether they are a good fit for the Services. Information may be requested through such means as applications, telephone screenings, and reference checks.
Social media information. You may choose to log in to the App, Website, Platform, or other Services using a third-party social media service, such as Facebook. If you do so, we may collect Personal and Other Information from the social media provider, including, for example, your username, email address, and available profile information, such as your public profile URL, profile photo, connections, industry, and location, as well as other information associated with your social media account. We will ask for your consent prior to your logging in to the App, Website, Platform using your social media account or connecting your social media account to the App. If you provide such consent, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to provide us with information about your social media connections.
Surveys. From time to time, we may ask our users to participate in surveys. Such surveys may be used to collect both Personal and Other Information. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary, and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose your information.
Other Information collected automatically through the Services. We also collect Other Information automatically through the Services. This may include information such as your IP address and domain name, your location as inferred from your IP address, your Internet service provider, the date and time of your visit to the App, Website, or Platform your use of the Services during your current session and over time (including the pages you view and the files you download), the URLs from the websites you visit before and after navigating to the App, Website, or Platform your computer’s or mobile device’s operating system and browser type, and your software and hardware attributes (including device IDs). We collect such information using a variety of mechanisms, including the following:
- Server Logs. When you visit the App, we automatically receive and record certain information from your computer (or other device) and your browser. This may include data such as your IP address, the pages you visit or features you use on the App, and your general geographic location as inferred from your IP address. To obtain such information, we may use server logs or similar applications that recognize your computer or other devices and gather information about their online activity.
- Essential Cookies: These cookies are essential to the functioning of the Services and allow you to interact with and use the features of the Services. If these cookies are not permitted by your browser, we will not be able to provide certain features of the Services to you.
- Preference Cookies: These cookies are used to collect information about your choices and preferences, such as your preferred language or the country from which you visit the Services. We use this information to customize the Services to your preferences.
- If you are concerned about having cookies on your computer, you can set your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being set, allowing you to decide whether to accept it. You can also delete cookies from your computer. However, if you choose to block or delete cookies, certain features of the App, Website, or Platform may not operate correctly.
- Pixel tags. The Services or the emails that you receive from us may use an application known as a “pixel tag” (also known as a “clear gif” or “web beacon”). A pixel tag is an electronic file that usually consists of a single-pixel image. It can be embedded in a web page or in an email to transmit information, which could include Personal Information. For example, it allows an email sender to determine whether a user has opened a particular email. Deleting or blocking cookies will not stop the collection of information through pixel tags and similar tracking mechanisms. However, as discussed in the section below titled “Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising,” you can take steps to limit how such information is used for advertising purposes. Even in that event, we may continue to use the information for other purposes, including analytics.
- Local storage. We also may use HTML5 local storage to collect and retain certain information about you. Data in local storage is not deleted when you clear your cookies, but it can be deleted by following the instructions provided by your browser developer.
We may partner with certain third parties to collect, analyze, and use some of the Personal Information or Other Information described above. For example, we may allow third parties to set cookies or use pixel tags on the Services or in email communications from Brize. This information may be used for a variety of purposes, including analytics and targeted advertising, as described below.
How We Use Information
We may use Personal and Other Information for a variety of purposes, as described below.
Personal Information. We use the Personal Information that we collect about users, including Members and Authors to:
- Provide the Services to you and other users;
- Fulfill the terms of any agreement you have with us, respond to your requests, or otherwise complete a transaction that you initiate, including payment processing;
- Send administrative communications related to the Services;
- Communicate with users through email notices, newsletters, and updates, including promotional communications about topics, products, and services that we believe will be of interest to users;
- Engage in analysis and research concerning the Services, improve users’ experiences with the Services, and otherwise enhance the quality of our products and services;
- Create a custom experience for users and tailor our products and Services to users’ individual interests and preferences;
- Comply with legal and/or regulatory requirements, or to protect our rights and interests, as described below in the “Legal Purposes” subsection of this Policy; and
- Compile and share aggregated information.
Other Information. We use the Other Information that we collect for these same purposes, as well as to:
- Count and recognize visitors to the Services and analyze how visitors use the Services;
- Engage in analytics or targeted advertising as described in the “Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising” section below; and
- For any other business purpose permitted by law.
How We Share Information with Third PartiesWe may share Personal and Other Information with third parties for a variety of purposes, as described below.
Affiliates. We may share Personal and Other Information with our corporate affiliates for the purposes described in this Policy.
Third-party service providers. We use third-party service providers to help us manage and improve the Services. These service providers may collect and/or use your Personal or Other Information to assist us in achieving the purposes discussed in this Policy. For example, we use third parties to help us manage our information systems, deliver marketing and administrative communications, and manage our relationships with the people and companies that use our Services. We also may share your information to enable us to reach you with our advertising on a third-party platform (such as Facebook’s “Custom Audiences” tool). For more information about our practices with respect to interest-based advertising and how to opt out, please see the section below titled “Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising.”
Your direct sharing of Personal Information through the Services and third-party websites and services. The Services may enable you to share Personal Information directly through the Services. For example, the Services may provide a text-based or chat communication platform to connect Members and Authors. In addition, the Services may contain links to third-party websites that incorporate comment and social media features, including the Facebook “like” button and the Twitter “follow” button. If you choose to use these features, you may disclose your Personal Information not just to those third-party websites and services, but also to their users and the public more generally. Because these third-party websites and services are not operated by Brize, we are not responsible for the content or practices of those websites or services. The collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal and Other Information will be subject to the privacy policies of the third-party websites or services, and not this Policy.
Legal purposes. We also may use or share your Personal or Other Information with third parties when we believe, in our sole discretion, that doing so is necessary:
- To comply with applicable law or a court order, subpoena, request from government or law enforcement, or other legal process;
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, violations of our terms and conditions, or situations involving threats to our property or the property or physical safety of any person or third party;
- To establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims; or
- To facilitate the financing, securitization, insuring, merger, acquisition, sale, assignment, bankruptcy, or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets. In the event of an actual sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event relating to all or a portion of our business or assets, Personal Data or Other Information may be part of the transferred assets.
De-identified or aggregated information. We also may compile and share de-identified or aggregated information about users of the Services, such as by publishing a report on trends in the usage of the Services or sharing aggregated information about historical and real-time trends in employment. We also may share de-identified or aggregated information about the numbers, types, or origins of users who click on business partners’ links on the Services (such as an article).
Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising
We partner with certain third parties to collect Other Information to engage in analytics, auditing, research, and reporting. These third parties may use web logs, pixel tags, or similar online tracking mechanisms, and they may set and access cookies on your computer or other device.
The Services also may enable third-party tracking mechanisms to collect Other Information on our Services over time and across unaffiliated websites for use in online behavioral advertising. For example, third parties may use the fact that you visited the Services to target online ads for the Services to you on websites that are not affiliated with Brize. In addition, our third-party advertising partners might use information about your use of the Services to help target advertisements unrelated to Brize based on your online behavior in general. For information about behavioral advertising practices, including privacy and confidentiality, visit the Network Advertising Initiative website or the Digital Advertising Alliance website.
The use of online tracking mechanisms by third parties is subject to those third parties’ own privacy policies, and not this Policy. If you prefer to prevent third parties from setting and accessing cookies on your computer, you may set your browser to block cookies. Additionally, you may remove yourself from the targeted advertising of companies within the Network Advertising Initiative by opting out here, or of companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance program by opting out here. Our website currently does not respond to “do not track” browser headers, but you can limit the effects of some tracking by taking the steps above.
Brize uses physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your information against loss or unauthorized access, use, modification, or deletion. However, no security program is 100% secure, and thus we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your Personal or Other Information.
Your Choices and Access to Information
You may review, change, or place limitations on how we use or share your Personal Information, as follows:
- If you want to learn more about the Personal Information that Brize has about you, or you would like to update or change that information, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by mail at the address in the “Questions or Comments” section below.
- If you no longer want to receive marketing communications from Brize, please follow the “unsubscribe” instructions that are included at the bottom of each message. Please note that if you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, you will still receive administrative messages.
Transfer of Information to the United States
The Personal and Other Information that we collect through or in connection with the Services is transferred to and processed in the United States for the purposes described above. Brize also may subcontract the processing of your data to, or otherwise share your data with, affiliates or third parties in the United States or countries other than your country of residence. The data-protection laws in these countries may be different from, and be less stringent than, those in your country of residence. By accepting this Policy, using the Services, or providing information to us, you expressly consent to such transfer and processing.
The Services are not directed to children under the age of 18, and Brize does not knowingly collect Personal or Other Information from anyone it knows is under the age of 18.
Changes to this Policy
Third-Party Links, Websites, and Apps
The Services may contain links to and from the websites or apps of other third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites or apps, please note that these websites and apps, and any services that may be accessible through them, have their own privacy policies. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites or apps. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave the Brize Services and to read the privacy policies applicable to such third-party websites and apps. This Policy applies solely to information collected in connection with the Brize Services.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information on or through the App, Website, Platform, or Services. Such information includes, but is not limited to, social security numbers, financial account information (except for payment information as required), and information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background, or trade union membership.
Questions or Comments
8505 Redwood Drive
Vienna, VA 22180
Last Modified: May 13, 2021